I have trained as both an Occupational therapist and a counsellor, which gives me a vast array of skills and experiences to use with clients.
My training allows me to offer empathy and compassion to my clients which helps to explore their issues without judgement or criticism, and can also provide a psycho-education and strategy based therapy for clients who are looking for a more practical approach to addressing their problems.
Having worked in a health setting for over 30 years, I have a true understanding of the link between physical health and mental health; this understanding allows me to provide a holistic approach to therapy.
I have spent over 20 years working with military personnel (at DMRC Headley Court) as the Professional Lead for Occupational Therapy, which has provided me with following skills:
- A unique understanding of military communication, culture and values.
- An ability to understand the challenges of becoming a “civvi”.
- Experience of working with trauma (combat and other), with a resilience to holding traumatic events unique to military.
- Experience of working with chronic health conditions such as Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, chronic pain
- A practical approach to therapy, using goal based therapy where appropriate.
My current counselling roles include:
- Working in a GP surgery.
- Working with teenagers from challenging backgrounds.
- Working with Insurance companies/Case Management teams to support clients following claims.
- Working for Private clients.